Matlab & Simulink – A Tool, Platfrom & Language
What is Matlab?
MATLAB (“MATrix LABoratory”) is a tool for numerical computation and visualization by the The Mathworks, Inc. It provides a single platform for computation, visualization, programming and software development. All problems and solutions in Matlab are expressed in notation used in linear algebra and essentially involve operations using matrices and vectors. A numerical analyst Cleve Moler wrote the first version of Matlab in 1970s. It has since evolved into a successful commercial software package.
Is Matlab Easy? Yes!!!
Matlab relieves you of a lot of the mundane tasks associated with solving problems numerically. This allows you to spend more time thinking, and encourages you to experiment. Matlab makes use of highly respected algorithms and hence you can be confident about your results. Powerful operations can be performed using just one or two commands.
Who can use Matlab?
The Matlab software environment has a core module (called Matlab) and associated with that are a set of “Toolboxes” that perform specialized computations.
- Control System Toolbox.
- System Identiﬁcation Toolbox.
- Neural Network Toolbox.
- Optimization Toolbox.
- Robust Control Toolbox.
- Signal Processing Toolbox.
- Image Processing Toolbox
- Spline Toolbox.
The use of Matlab is more appropriate in the following cases:
- If you have to evaluate large amounts of data that are acquired automatically by means of computers and other technical appliances. Examples are psychophysical experiments (EEG, fMRI, eye tracking, galvanic skin resistance measurements and the like), internet questionnaires, or log file analyses. In these applications, it is way too laborious to manually preprocess every single data set with a spreadsheet software and export it to a statistics software package. Thus, automating this process by means of a Matlab program will be profitable.
- Moreover, the application of programmed data evaluation routines is a more efficient way if the evaluation procedure has to be changed over and over again to ‘fine-tune’ it. Re-calculating the whole data set with the changed procedure is then done in a snap.
- Matlab offers a plethora of graphics functions, dedicated statistics functions and other interesting features which are not available in other software packages, or only in limited and unflexible implementations.
- Matlab allows for the programming of user-friendly interfaces for data evaluation programs that are repeatedly used. Thus, complicated data evaluation procedures can also be performed by collaborators who are less skilled with the computer.
How it work?
In Matlab the basic data element is a matrix, so if you need a program that manipulates array-based data it is generally fast to write and run in MATLAB (unless you have very large arrays or lots of computations, in which case you’re better off using C or Fortran).
Typical data processing workflow
Below you see the schematic diagram of a typical project, showing which steps are often realised with Matlab.
1.) Image Processing Application with Matlab
2.) Matlab for Communication Testing & Simulations
How to Learn using Matlab with Project oriented Approach?
The best way of learning any new Technology is Learn by Doing approach. With waayoo.com you can learn Matlab for Image Processing, Matlab for Communication Toolbox or Matlab & Simulink for all with practical example projects (Free project development support for future) at Lucknow & NCR centers.
Matlab Training Programs by Waayoo are available in all Sessions viz Winter Training, Summer Training, Industrial Training & Regular Programs. To invite Waayoo for Workshop in your institute you can contact Waayoo at email@example.com or call at +91 9616420235, 9807507429. For more information visit www.waayoo.com