Android Mobile Application Development & System Programming – An Article by Waayoo.com
Android is the world’s most popular mobile platform. Android is itself Linux-based Operating System specially designed for Smartphones and Tablet computers. Android is being developed by Google and Open Handset Alliance. Important thing is that, Android is an open source project released under Apache License. Unveiled in 2007 Android is being maintained and developed further by Android Open Source Project(AOSP) supported by Google. Android provides a huge scope for development of innovative apps and already has a large community of developers writing applications that extend the functionality of devices, written primarily in Java language with Android API and SDK provided by Google.
Google supplies its mobile platform, Android, to a large number of mobile manufacturers. Notable amongst them are Samsung and HTC apart from numerous other smaller manufacturers. With Samsung becoming the largest seller of Smartphones across the globe, so has Android become the largest platform being used across the globe.
World’s leading IT research and advisory company Gartner says that the Android mobile phone market is growing at an impressive rate of 32% every month and the world has already seen 50,000 plus Android apps being developed.
Android‘s overall smartphone market share has jumped to 72.4% in Q3 2012, up from 52.5% in the same period last year
So What & How can I develop Android Applications?
As a smartphone operating system android open source project provides you everything you require to develop applications based on android mobile devices. In short its a small computing device in your hand and you can use it anywhere you can. There can be numerous applications like below –
- Controlling a Robot right from your Android Phone by using its touchscreen and sensors
- Controlling Home Appliances from your Android Phone
- Human Body Monitoring System
- Bluetooth based multiplayer Games like Chess, Racing or other
- Barcode Scanner for your products
- Image Processing or Vision based Applications
- Android based Oscilloscope
- Java (For developers familiar with Java)Android Application can be developed using Java language and Apps runs on Android Platform with the help of a virtual machine (Dalvik VM) similar to that of JVM
- flex (Android applications in Flash)
- C or C++ (native applications – applications that run directly on hardware- requires Android NDK to build applications)