An Embedded system is a system, that has a computing device embedded into it. An embedded system is some combination of computer hardware and software, either fixed in capability or programmable, that is specifically designed for a particular function. industrial machines, automobiles, medical equipment, cameras, household appliances, airplanes, vending machines and toys (as well as the more obvious cellular phone and PDA) are among the myriad possible hosts of an embedded system.
Embedded systems that are programmable are provided with programming interfaces, and embedded systems programming is a specialized occupation.
EMBEDDED SYSTEMS COMPONENTS
- MICRO CONTROLLERS (µC)
- MICRO PROCESSORS (µP)
- DIGITAL SIGNAL CONTROLLERS (DSC)
- DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSORS (DSP)
- BUSSES (Data, Address, Input/output)
- SYSTEM CLOCK – Steps µC / µP Through Each Instruction
- READ ONLY MEMORY (ROM): Permanently Loaded With Instructions (FIRMWARE)
- RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM)
- STORES DATA IN PROCESSING / SHARES DATA WITH EXTERNAL PARTNERS
- REAL TIME CLOCK (RTC)
- COMMUNICATIONS CIRCUITRY – Ethernet Port, Printer Port, Communications Port (RS232c, RS485, RS422, IEEE488), SPI, I2C etc.
EXAMPLES OF EMBEDDED SYSTEMS
- Automatic Teller Machines or ATM’s & Bank Vaults
- Automotive & Automobile Engine Management systems: Electronic Dashboards
- Blue Tooth enabled Network Synchronization Applications
- Control Systems (Manufacturing, Cryogenics, Electric Power)
- Controls for Digital Equipment: CD Players, TV Remote, Programmable Sprinklers, Household Appliances, etc.
- Computer motherboards (BIOS chips, RTCs)
- Global Positioning and Navigation Systems
- Household Appliances
- Medical instrument’s controls – CT scanners, MRI Scanners, ECG, Pacemakers and implanted pumps, implanted heart monitors, etc.
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems
- Telecommunications (Private Branch Exchanges, Custom Premises Equipment)
Which Microcontroller to Choose for your Embedded Work Start